This was one of the principal brands of the old established blending house of James Sword and Son Limited of Glasgow. The company was formed in 1810 and remained independent until it became part of the expansion plans of the well-known whisky brokers and distillers, Stanley P Morrison Limited, owners of Bowmore Distillery, in 1983. A well-known Scottish whisky-trade personality, William Walker, Stanley P Morrison's father-in-law, directed the fortunes of the company during the war years until 1950.
Primarily an exporting company Sword’s Gauntlet and the company’s other brands were marketed mainly in the United States. The company has been dormant for some years no doubt as part of the rationalisation process when Suntory, a major shareholder in Morrison’s since 1989, eventually took over the entire operation in 1994.