John Hopkins & Co. Ltd. was established in 1874. The history of the company can be found at pages 259 -260 of The Schweppes Guide to Scotch.
The company’s Glen Garry brand dates back to April 1878 followed by its Old Mull brand which was registered in November 1880. The latter still survives under the ownership of Donald Fraser & Co., a subsidiary of Whyte & Mackay Distillers Ltd., albeit in a quite different style. However, it is Hopkins' Navy Supreme De Luxe which catches the eye of the collector today, not least because examples are much scarcer than of the two other Hopkins brands since a) it was at the premium end of the market and b) was withdrawn in the 1970’s.
As well as being blenders, this company was also distillers. They built the Speyburn-Glenlivet distillery in 1896, having acquired Tobermory distillery in 1888. Later it was closely associated with Oban distillery and successfully promoted Oban 12 Years Old Highland Malt as an early example of single malt whisky marketing.
The company’s share capital was bought up by DCL in 1916 although it was not formally incorporated into the group until 1931. DCL had seen the Hopkins export business and its strength in blending as making it something worth acquiring. It is not clear when the company ceased trading but probably in the mid-1980’s when Invergordon Distillers acquired the Old Mull brand in 1986. Invergordon in turn was bought by Whyte & Mackay in 1993.