Daniel Crawford and Son Ltd
The firm came into existence in 1850 as whisky merchants in Glasgow. Eventually it became part of DCL in 1944 and moved to Leith in 1974. It had a number of export brands, the main one of which was Bene Vobis. Others were Old Matured and Red Star and, through a subsidiary (The Invercairn Blending Co), Glen Stewart. All are now relics of the past and the company itself quietly disappeared in the 1990’s. A curiosity arising from their DCL involvement was that the company became the licence holder for Parkmore distillery in Dufftown, which by then was used purely for storage having closed in 1931.
Daniel Crawford’s Old Matured was exported primarily to France, Greece, Corsica, Andorra, Bahrain, Dubai, Mauritius, Netherlands, Austria and in bulk to New Zealand. Meanwhile Daniel Crawford’s Red Star’s main market was Mauritius and Glen Stewart’s was Greece. Bene Vobis thrived in France and Mauritius.