This ghost, which was said to have had its own ghost actually haunting the distillery, ceased production in March 1985 never to recommence. It was sold in 1990 and the site now hosts “The Auld Distillery” restaurant.
The early history of Millburn is imprecise. One theory suggests that it started as a distillery in 1807 but the first recorded reference to Millburn was on 21 December 1825 when it was licensed to Ross & Macdonald. However, it appears that if there was in fact whisky distilling going on, it was not for prolonged periods and in 1853 David Rose, a local corn merchant, took a lease on this site and began to mill flour. He returned it to distilling in 1876. A. Haig & Company were the owners from 1892 until Booth’s Distillery Limited, of gin fame, acquired it in1921 and on their being taken over by DCL in 1937, Millburn found itself within the growing inventory of distilleries managed by the DCL subsidiary, Scottish Malt Distillers Limited.
The product was regarded as an excellent blending whisky and was a major component in the brands of Macleay Duff Ltd. who held the license for Millburn. One of these was The Mill Burn 12 Years Old Pure Malt, which was a vatted malt but there is no evidence of which malts other than Millburn went into the vatting. And, of course, Millburn was bottled from time to time as a single malt by Gordon and Macphail and others. It eventually got the recognition it deserved by appearing in several different expressions in Diageo’s Rare Malts series.