Glenglassaugh Distillery is about 20 minutes’ drive from the solid country town of Banff. The distillery is on a bluff above a beach of sand and rock and overlooks the small fishing village of Sandend. It is a tranquil place, yet only a few hundred metres from the busy coastal road.
The distillery was built between 1873 and 1875, at a cost of £10,000 by Col. James Moir of the Glenglassaugh Distillery Company, with H. Mathieson as the first manager. Col. Moir ran the distillery with his two nephews until 1892, when it was purchased by Highland Distillers Company Limited. It suffered periods of lengthy closure from 1907 to 1931, and from 1936 to 1959, after which it was completely rebuilt in 1960. Thereafter, the distillery continued to produce whisky until 1986 when it was mothballed.
The distillery sat silent for over 20 years until it was purchased by a group of investors and started production again in December 2008. In 2013, the BenRiach Distillery Company took over Glenglassaugh Distillery. In 2016 Brown-Forman acquired the Glenglassaugh Distillery alongside The GlenDronach and BenRiach distilleries.
There is a very good profile written by Ian Buxton in “Glenglassaugh: a Distillery Reborn” which appeared in 2010.